Activating a Software License for KEPServerEX V5
Kepware products can be unlocked for full-time use using a software license. In this article, we are going to show you how to register and activate a KEPServerEX V5 license that you have purchased.
A similar activation process to the one described below also applies to LinkMaster V3 and RedundancyMater V2. Each has its own website and License Utility. The rest of the activation instructions are the same.
Important: For Terminal Services, licensing via the hardware key is not recommended. We recommend that you use software licenses only.
Please note: A single computer cannot support both the software and hardware license. Every new license has to be of the same type as the existing ones (i.e. If you have a software license on your computer, your new license has to be a software license as well.)
Please note: If you do not have a My Kepware account, you will have to create one. We recommend that you create an account at least a day before the actual license activation. To be able to activate your new account, you need a confirmation email with an account activation link. If you do not receive this confirmation, please check your spambox and your spam filter settings.
1. Install KEPServerEX V5. The software, which is fully functional and only limited in its runtime to 2-hour periods, is available for download in our online Store.
2. To register a license file, open the License Utility at Start Menu / Programs / Kepware / KEPServerEX 5 / License / License Utility.
3. In the drop-down list, select Manage Software Licenses and then click Next.
4. Select Activate a Product, and then click Next to continue.
5. In Create an Activation Request File, enter the Activation ID that was provided by Kepware with the purchased product.
6. When you have entered the Activation ID, the Save to File button is enabled. Click it to generate and save the activation_request.txt request file (We recommend renaming the file for easy identification – you can, for example, put the first few numbers of the Activation ID first, i.e. xxxxxxx_activation_request.txt).
7. The activation_request.txt file now enables you to obtain the response.txt file, which you need to unlock KEPServerEX for full-time use. If you have Internet access, you can instantly generate the response file on Kepware's website.
8. At www.kepware.com click My Kepware. Either log into your existing account or by clicking Sign up create a new account. If you are a first-time user, we recommend that you create an account at least a day before the actual license activation. To activate your new account, you will need to wait for a confirmation email with an account activation link.
9. When you have logged into your My Kepware account, click Activate Product License.
10. Enter information about the end user of the license. Lines marked with * are required fields. If you are the end user, check the I am the end user box. The lines will automatically be filled with your My Kepware details.
11. At the bottom of the page, enter the Activation ID. In Activation Request File, click Choose File to browse to the activation request file that was previously saved. Once finished, click Generate Activation Response File.
12. After the activation request file has been processed successfully, a download link will be displayed at the top of the page. Click Download Activation Response File and then save the file to the host machine (We recommend renaming the file to ease license management – you can, for example, put the first few numbers of the Activation ID first, i.e. xxxxxxx_response.txt).
13. If you encounter a problem during the license activation, feel free to contact us by email.
Within the next business day, you will receive the response.txt file from us that will enable you to activate your license.
14. Next, return to the License Utility. In Start Menu / Programs / Kepware / KEPServerEX 5 / License / License Utility, go to the last dialog (1. Manage Software Licenses – 2. Activate a product – 3. Manage Software License Activation).
15. At the bottom of the page in Step 3 – Import an Activation Response File, click Import File and select the response.txt file.
16. On successful activation, a dialog with information about the activated license will open. Click Close to exit.
17. When you have successfully carried out license activation, stop and then restart the server. In the system tray in the bottom right corner of the screen, right click KEPServerEX and click Stop Runtime Service and then Start Runtime Service. This step is necessary for unlocking KEPServerEX for full-time use.